Fun with Magnets - Skaven

After growing weary of unpacking 250 Skaven from carrying cases every-time I wanted a game I decided to magnetise their bases so they could be effectively transported on their movement trays.

First I bought some Adhesive backed Magnetic Sheet and some Steel Paper from a company called 'Magnetic Displays'. They responded to my Paypal order with a confirmation E-Mail the same day I sent the order and despatched the items that same day as well. They arrived 2 days later which is pretty good service if you ask me*

*If by any chance you order anything from these guys mention where you heard of them and they might send me some free stuff, lol.

So I gathered together what I believed to be the necessary tools (and the Magnetic stuff, obviously).

And then in true Skaven style found something to experiment on ;-)

I used a standard square base for measurement purposes and marked the Magnetic Sheet a fraction wider as I figured removing a little extra would be easier than adding a little extra ;-)

The sheet cut very easily. Rather than go straight into mass production mode I figured a test model might be sensible...

Though I don't suggest transporting your models like this it seemed like a good way of testing the magnet strength...

As I mentioned earlier I cut the sheet very slightly larger than I thought I would need.

One strip, a base wide gave me enough material to do 9 bases.

A bit of careful planning enabled me to cut exactly 99 base size squares from the 240mm x 180mm sheet I was using, 50 of which were used for this large unit of Plague Monks.

I've left a gap in the middle where the Plague Furnace will go and stuck the 'Steel Paper' on either side for the Plague Monks. I haven't peeled the top layer of paper off yet.

It looks like this if your interested, I'll be removing it later.

Here's another wonderful upside-down picture showing the wonder of magnetism and it's total disregard for gravity...

The unit of 50 took me about half an hour to do and I wasn't exactly rushing at any point. The next unit should be done a lot quicker.

With the additional of some flat storage cases with handles that I acquired from a local Craft store called Hobbycraft I should be able to transport my Skaven with relative ease from now on.

Thoughts, comments and free gifts are (as usual) most welcome.
You have read this article Modelling Projects with the title Fun with Magnets - Skaven. You can bookmark this page URL http://llourenzzo-putta.blogspot.com/2010/10/fun-with-magnets-skaven.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...