Blood Angels list evolution


The internet seems to have a lot to say about the Blood Angels Codex most of which is bollocks, unfortunately. Though there are many 'Mech' lists published (I've posted a few myself) I think for the most part that can be done better by 'Vanilla' marines.
As some of you are aware I'm trying to come up with a BA Jump Pack list that works but that also can be done with the models and bits I have available. The problem is that the list I wrote using the stuff I had has some flaws when you try to cram it into 1500 points.

The current (slightly flawed) version of the list is this...

Librarian (100), Jump Pack (+25), Blood Lance + Fear of the Darkness (+0) (125)

Honour Guard (115), Jump Packs (+50), Meltagun x3 (+30) (195)

Chaplain (100), Jump Pack (+25) (125)
Chaplain (100), Jump Pack (+25) (125)

Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)
Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)

Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25), Infernus Pistol (+15) (250)

PROBLEMS

1 - Fear of the Darkness isn't as useful as in practice as I thought in theory. As a psychic shooting attack it seems unlikely I'll ever use it for the following reasons
  1. I'll be more often than not be using Blood Lance on the turn I land instead.
  2. Anything with low enough Leadership to make run away would most likely run away after I charged it anyway.
  3. Most units these days tend to come with that most annoying of defences...a transport. So I'll need to destroy that first regardless.
2 - It has been pointed out by several people that at 1500 points, spending 250 points on chaplains just for rerolls to hit might not be the best use of the points.

3 - Nothing I have particularly excels at killing things (especially If I drop the chaplains). Plus It's quite easy to 'bubblewrap' expensive units (like tanks) with cheap crap (like Guardsmen).

SOLUTIONS

1 - 'Fear of the Darkness' is getting replaced with something else. The current favourite is 'Unleash Rage' as that gets me some of the benefits that I've lost by dropping the Chaplains (See solution 2, lol).

2 - I am going to drop the Chaplains at this points level (At least one will be back in at higher points levels when the Death Company arrive ;-) ) Which gains me 250 points.

3 - I need something a bit more killy that can also help with 'bubblewrap' removal. Vanguard Veterans may be useful in this respect or another Honour Guard so I'll see what I can get for the points I've saved. However if I take Honour Guard I'll need another HQ which means I have to save points elsewhere.

New List

Librarian (100), Jump Pack (+25), Blood Lance + Unleash rage (+0) (125)

Honour Guard (115), Jump Packs (+50), Meltagun x4 (+40) (205)

Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)
Sanguinary Priest (50), Jump Pack (+25), Lightning Claw (+15) (90)

Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)
Assault Squad x10 (190), Meltagun x2 (+20), Power Fist (+25) (235)

Vanguard Veterans x5 (115), Jump Packs x5 (+50), PowerFist (Sergeant) (+10), Lightning Claw x3 (45), Storm Shield x3 (+60) (280)
Total - 1495

I'll have to playtest the list a few times before I change anything else.

As usual all input is welcome..
You have read this article Army Lists / Blood Angels with the title Blood Angels list evolution. You can bookmark this page URL http://llourenzzo-putta.blogspot.com/2010/05/blood-angels-list-evolution.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...