Lets dive straight into the problems.
1) For their statline they're too expensive.
2) They're Slow and Purposeful in the Fast Attack section
3) Giving them 3 wounds was presumably to make up for them having no armour save.
4) They're Fearless but have no armour save, which means for every wound they lose combat by they get wounded again automatically.
5) Mindless is basically the Rage rule with an addition which is meaningless in 5th Ed.
Editors Note - A few minor changes based on feedback.
Chaos Spawn - 30 Points
Chaos Spawn - WS 3, BS 0, S 5, T 5, W 3, I 3, A 4, Ld 10, Save 5+ inv.
Abomination - WS 3, BS 0, S 6, T 5, W 3, I 3, A 5, Ld 10, Save 5+ inv.
Unit Type - Beasts, Number/Squad 1-5
Count as being armed with a single close combat weapon
Fearless, Rage, Mutated Horror*
* Mutated Horror - The Chaos Spawn attacks with a variety of Claws, Teeth, Tentacles and other indescribable protrusions. Enemies are torn apart in an uncontrolled blood-lust. - All of the Chaos Spawns attacks have the 'Rending' special rule.
Many Spawn were once Aspiring Champions and have been more greatly blessed (or cursed, depending on your point of view) by the Chaos Gods.
One Chaos Spawn can be upgraded to an Abomination for 10 points
The Abomination may take one of the following options
The Abominations claws are energised by the power of Chaos - Count as being armed with a Power Weapon - 15 points
The Abomination has strength far beyond even the mightiest of its kind, however It's speed has suffered as a consequence - Counts as being armed with a Power Fist.
However if it takes either option it loses the Rending special rule.
Some Spawn are still looked upon as beloved or amusing pets by the gods that seemingly abandoned them.
The Unit may take one of the following Marks
- Slaanesh (+1 I) - 25 points
- Khorne (+1 A) - 20 points
- Nurgle (+1 T) - 40 points
- Tzeentch (Inv. save becomes 4+) - 35 points
With the above modifications Spawn become a dangerous yet uncontrollable unit which is exactly what they should be. Ordinary units will be butchered by them, but dedicated assault units should be able to handle them.
The Marks of Slaanesh and Khorne are relatively cheap as they don't make a great deal of difference to the units effectiveness. The +1 Toughness given by the mark of Nurgle however is of considerable advantage as is the 4+ Inv. save given by the mark of Tzeentch so they have had to be priced appropriately higher.
You have read this article Chaos Space Marines / Fixing C:CSM with the title Fixing C:CSM - Part 4 - Chaos Spawn.. You can bookmark this page URL http://llourenzzo-putta.blogspot.com/2010/05/fixing-ccsm-part-4-chaos-spawn.html. Thanks!